Sunday, November 21, 2010

Cat and Bird

Cat and Bird













Jin Young is a good student with good grades, but she has a little bit of an unstable mind. Hye Jung is a cheerful girl who helps out at her mom's "snack shop", a sort of small restaurant that offers light meals to diners. Both attended the same school, and both transferred to an independent-study private school, where they meet Si Hyung who is an instructor there. Si Hyung used to live in the same neighborhood with Jin Young when they were young, but he's surprised how Jin Young has changed into a cold person.

I read this oneshot a long tome ago and I still remember how much I loved it. :) It also introduced me to a beautiful and haunting poem the manhwa title is based on.

The Cat and the Bird
By: Jacques Prévert

A grieving village hears
The song of the wounded bird
It is the only bird of the village
And it is the only cat of the village
Who has half-eaten the bird
And the bird stops singing
And the cat stops purring
And licking his paw
And the village gives
The bird a marvelous funeral
And the cat who is invited
Walks behind the little straw casket
The little girl who carries the casket
Cannot stop crying
“If I knew that this would break your heart
I would have eaten the whole bird
And then I would have told you
The bird freely flew away,
Freely to the ends of the world
Somewhere too far
To come back to that place
I would have told you
At least it would have taken your sadness
It would have been only disappointing and
regretful.”

Read:
http://www.anymanga.com/cat-and-bird/

No comments:

Post a Comment